After about a week of fiddling with the fit of the neck, I'm ready to glue it up. I know, can you believe it? The main issue was the fit of the fingerboard against the body - I wanted it tight at the 'corner' where the neck, fingerboard, and body meet. I was also trying to get the best fit for the neck heel against the body.
One bar clamp for the dovetail, and two for the fingerboard extension.
It actually took me two attempts to get it perfect. This is number one - and after it dried I wasn't happy with the heel-to-body fit. So, I took it apart and reglued it and it's much better.
It came apart pretty easily. The fingerboard extension came up with some heat. I could wiggle the joint a little after that, and I though I might be able to just pop it off.
But the glue held, and I had to drill through the board and steam the dovetail. Now I have a hole to fill (again), but I found out how strong the hide glue is. Super strong.
The Complete Martin Guitar Restoration Saga
Repairing heel break
DIY chisel for bridge plate removal
DIY bridge plate removal iron, Pt.1
DIY bridge plate removal iron, Pt.2
Steam removal of bridge plate
Bridge plate removed
Tongue brace removal
Crack repair and brace scallop
New bridge plate Pt. 1
New bridge plate Pt. 2
Patching hole in top
Final fitting of top patch
Installing carbon fiber rod
Fingerboard crack repair, Pt. 1
Fingerboard crack repair, Pt. 2
DIY fret bender tool
Refretting Pt. 1
Refretting Pt. 2
Tuner shaft repair
Neck reset - dovetail fitting
Measuring neck set with DIY jig
Gluing the neck with hide glue (This page)
Fitting bridge pins
Making bone saddle
Making a buffalo horn nut