Another small 'issue' that's been hanging over my head is this bent tuner. It's the high (octave) G string.
Now that I know the guitar had a fall and partial headstock break, I'd guess that this tuner was part of the collateral damage. It works fine, but it doesn't look good.
I studied it for a while and figured out what I think will be the best angle to hit it from. Basically, I'm trying to hit in the reverse angle from how it took the original hit.
And we have the handy rubber mallet for the job. If it doesn't work, I can use the mallet on my head.
Dig these crazy tuners. They're the original Grovers. I love the finned covers. Unfortunately, they weigh a ton. I looked into replacing them with modern, lighter tuners, but I didn't find anything I really liked, aside from Waverly tuners. And since they cost an arm and a leg, I've decided to keep the old Grovers.
The Complete Martin Guitar Restoration Saga
Repairing heel break
DIY chisel for bridge plate removal
DIY bridge plate removal iron, Pt.1
DIY bridge plate removal iron, Pt.2
Steam removal of bridge plate
Bridge plate removed
Tongue brace removal
Crack repair and brace scallop
New bridge plate Pt. 1
New bridge plate Pt. 2
Patching hole in top
Final fitting of top patch
Installing carbon fiber rod
Fingerboard crack repair, Pt. 1
Fingerboard crack repair, Pt. 2
DIY fret bender tool
Refretting Pt. 1
Refretting Pt. 2
Tuner shaft repair (This page)
Neck reset - dovetail fitting
Measuring neck set with DIY jig
Gluing the neck with hide glue
Fitting bridge pins
Making bone saddle
Making a buffalo horn nut