Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Repro Kluson Tuners for Oahu Diana Lap Steel

Got a break from the current Project That Won't End (the F50 neck reset).  I'm in the 'put a coat of lacquer on every few hours' mode, so I can actually squeeze in another project.  That's my story, anyway.

My trusty Oahu Diana lap steel has an issue I need to fix.  The 4th string's (that would be G in C6th tuning...) string post is broken off.  It was that way when I got it, and it has been bugging me.

I'm concerned that one day it might just snap off.  I actually have another vintage tuner around here somewhere that I was going to steal the post from, but I just decided it would be easier to replace the tuners entirely.  This way I can spare the tuners from the wear of everyday use.

These particular tuners seem to be quite rare.  They're your standard Kluson Deluxes from the late 40s - early 50s, but they're gold plated.  And, they have these crazy, wonderful gold speckled buttons!

I've only seen a few instruments that used them, and Kluson doesn't offer a current replacement.  All the more reason to get them off the guitar.

So I just plunked on a set of new old-style Klusons.  These are the more typical models - nickel plating with white buttons.  As found on thousands of American-made guitars from that time period.

I 'aged' the buttons a bit so they're not quite so white.  (Light coat of brown liquid shoe polish).

Perfect fit.  And they look appropriate.

I left the original gold ferrules on.  Too much hassle to get them off and press new ones on.  Plus it looks cool with the gold-and-nickel combination I think.

The new tuners also have a 15:1 gear ratio for better fine tuning.  I believe the old ones were 12:1.  In any case, these are a lot smoother.

Ok, now to hit the Guild with another coat of lacquer.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

  • Matt Montano said...
    April 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    I am very interested in purchasing those glittery kluson tuners. can you let me know what you want for them?
  • Matt Montano said...
    April 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment