Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Cocobolo Custom Bridge for Martin 12 String Guitar

In our last installment, I had taken a shot at removing the tongue brace on the Martin 12 string guitar.  I've also taken a shot at heating the bridge pad with my Brown's Guitar Factory bridge pad heater iron.  The iron was great for the smaller pad on the Epiphone I worked on recently, but it's too small for the pad on the Martin.  I can't heat the whole pad at one time.  I need to come up with something larger.

LMI sells a heat blanket specifically for the larger pads found on the 1970s Martins, but it's pretty pricey, and since I don't think I'm going to be removing a lot of these, I don't want to spend the money.  So I will ponder.

In the meantime, I started to move forward on making a new bridge.  I have the original ebony bridge - it was sanded down at some point clearly to lower the string action.

The guitar also came with a rosewood Martin-style 12-string bridge.  This was probably intended to be the replacement.  And that's my fallback if I fail in my attempt to make a bridge myself.

I have a nice, resonant cocobolo bridge blank I bought from LMI to potentially use on the Gretsch ukulele rebuild.  I didn't wind up using it, so I figured I'd try making a bridge for the Martin with the cocobolo.  I used the rosewood bridge as a template for the curves and wings of the new bridge.

The blank is way too thick on the ends, so I hacked some height off with a coping saw.

I was really liking the cocobolo up to this point. The color is great, the grain is wonderful, it's light weight, and it has a nice, chimey resonance.  The resonance, by the way, is determined using the Crawfish Resonance Method: drop the hunk of hardwood on a concrete floor from a height of approximately 1 meter (about 39 inches or a bit more than 3 feet).  See what it sounds like.

But after sawing some cocobolo I am in love.  The sawdust is wonderfully aromatic - a little smoky, a little spicy, sweet smelling.  Really nice to work with.

 Martin has used a one inch radius on its bridges since the beginning of time...or at least for the last 100 years or more.

To replicate that, I made a jig of sorts to hold the wood up by the amount of thickness I need.  Then I used a one inch (crazy I know) radius spool on the spindle sander.

Worked great.  I was a little concerned that I'd be half-freehanding it, but it came out well.

Here's the blank with the curves sanded.  The lens makes this look like it's a lot wider than the original ebony bridge, but it's the same size.  It's actually a small bit larger - I'll size it as needed to fit the guitar exactly.  And obviously I need to cut the rear contour and shape the belly (top).  But this is encouraging.

You can get a good idea of how nice the grain is in this shot.  should look really good after it's sanded and polished.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment