Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Stain and Lacquer Finish for the Equipment Rack Table

I didn't learn my lesson in trying to stain the pine equipment rack and failing miserably. I had to read more about using shellac as a wash coat and then staining pine, didn't I?

Yes, I decided once again to take a shot at staining pine - this time with the newly-made table I made for the rack.

First I had to fill all of the countersunk screw holes. I used Parks wood filler and I like it.

Although, it does say "for floors" and this isn't a floor...

After filling the holes, I sanded the whole table with 120 then 220 grit paper on a sanding block (actually a square scrap piece of pine).

I had made a number of pencil marks on the parts as I was building the table to indicate where to drill holes and such. I (stoopidly, as it transpires) figured I'd erase them before I went to put the finish on. Ha ha. My otherwise reliable pencil eraser took exactly none of the marks off.

So I tried Simple Green, and it worked well.

Memo to self: next time, make your pencil marks much lighter.

Now we do a quick wipedown with naptha to get any remaining sawdust or finger marks off the wood.

The guy on the label sure looks like Toy Making Dad.

I mixed up some off-the-shelf clear shellac (2 lb. mix) with some denatured alcohol. I found a site with some interesting information about the ratio of solids to alcohol. Something I was not aware of at all.

For the record, I used 4 oz. of shellac and added about 8.8 oz. of alcohol to wind up with roughly 12.8 oz. of mix for a wash coat. I had more than enough.

Nice new Purdy brush which I'll dedicate to shellac use only.

I like how their brushes have the maker's initials on them, in this case, "SI" made my brush.

If you take care of your brushes they'll last a long time. I always mark mine for specific uses too so brushes used for paint stay separate from brushes for other stuff.

Now we put the shellac wash coat on.  Fun, huh?

After I was done, I cleaned the brush with denatured alcohol.

After the shellac dries, I brush on a coat of stain.

This time I went with "Black Cherry." It was actually a little to purplish for my taste, so I did a second coat - Dark Walnut - to make it more brown. Didn't take a picure of that.

Then I hit it with 5 coats or so of clear lacquer as a topcoat. (I could swear I took a picture of spraying the lacquer but I can't find it. You can visualize it if you wish).

The stain is still a little blotchy in places. But I think the wash coat helped. I probably should have done 2 coats of the shellac.

I'm not sure I'll try staining pine again. I like working with it and it's inexpensive, but it is problematic to finish. I just didn't want to paint it like I did with the rack.

I do like the color, and I guess I'll live with the blotchy. It does look sort of 'vintagy' I think.

Another angle.

The upside is the table is strong and will work perfectly for the rack. And I have a shelf too :-)

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment