In the last post, about the quick router table, I alluded to a woodworking project. To repeat, it uses wood, and I worked on it, but craftsmanship it is not.
It seems I've accumulated a bunch of recording rack gear, and I wanted to put it all, well, in a rack. I looked online and was frightened off by the cost of racks made of MDF, so I said to myself, "Self, you could MAKE one of those!" When that conversation happens, the result is usually trouble.
Anyway, after pricing some real hardwood (Oak) at the local Despot, I decided to go the cheap route and just use pine. If it turns out to be a disaster, I won't have spent too much. I did, however spring for the extra few bucks to get clear pine.
You may be able to see how I just used a large roofing square clamped to the board to work as a fence. Worked pretty well.
Elli the Cat showed up to lend a paw and provide general supervision.
She scrambled for cover when I started up the saw.
I need to pick one of my 3 Ridgid drill/drivers (don't even ask) to drill the dowel pin holes. I have 2 new 12 volt (smaller) tools, which didn't have quite enough torque as it turns out. I wound up using my old 18 volt world-beating Fuego (in the back) for this job.
Here's the dowel jig. Basically you use it to align where you'll drill the dowel holes into your mating pieces of wood.
I have one end of the board which will squarely align onto another board. With these pins in the holes, align the boards, then tap the one with the pins and it will make marks on the mating board.
Then drill those holes as you did above.
Simple but effective.
My boards are only 1/2 inch thick, so I needed to ensure I didn't drill all the way through them. That's where the jig really helps.
Before I glued it all together, I routed a rounded edge on the front and side edges, which is where the little router table I made came into play.
Wipe off the excess with a clean damp rag.
The trickiest part of this whole assembly was getting the whole thing square. It's fairly tall (I'm putting a 20 space rack in it), so it wanted to wobble, even with the dowels in place.
I clamped two aluminum squares at the bottom to keep the sides aligned. I used my only band clamp (note to self: a couple more would be a good thing...) to told one top corner down tight.
And finally I used a heavy weight, in this case, my URM-25D, on the top to hold the other top side down. (That's the big box on the top right).
It does look a little goofy, but darned if it didn't work perfectly. I did check the top for square as well - it's all aligned.