Now that the Princess banjo mandolin is lying in
state pieces on the workbench I can start fixing the cracks.
First one is this crack on the heel cap. The cap is a nice pice of birch I think. It looks like the laminate in the center of the neck underneath began to crack and took the cap with it.
The glue has to be thin or it won't pass through the needle.
It's hard to tell, but I think the crack on the cap isn't closed all the way. We shall see what happens.
I was gently pulling on the crack to see how far the piece was pulled off the rim. A couple inches...couple more. Then, small crack noise and the whole piece popped off.
It's actually better that it came off. Now I can reglue the whole piece and know it will stay on.
Then I'll be able to attach the piece onto the rim as one assembly, rather than try and deal with the crack at the same time.
So I'm going to glue a small section at a time so it will line up properly.
Brush some hide glue on the rim...
I left this piece to dry and the next night did another small section. And I started thinking: this is going to take a week at the rate I'm going!
Then it hit me: I don't have spool clamps (yet...) but I do have rubber bands!
So I used rubber bands to hold the rim down, with clamps in a couple of recalcitrant sections.
It worked great. Got it lined up all the way around.
My first repair closed the crack in the heel itself, but only tightened up the heel cap a little. I thought that might happen.
Now I can fit the two pieces back together properly. Which is what I should have done the first time.