I was going to be travelling over the Christmas holiday and wanted to take my prewar Martin tenor ukulele with me.
It had a couple of places where it fretted out, so I took it to the Dungeon to do some fret filing. In the process, I think I broke part of the end of the nut off - see the picture.
I need to fix this and fix it fast. (Well, I could take another ukulele, I suppose).
I cut a small hunk of ebony off the end. While I was doing this I kept thinking how this was "emergency ukulele repair," which reminded me of a Toy Making Dad blog post.
The string slots on these old Martins are usually too deep, but I can't bear the thought of filing the original nuts down. So they stay as is.