I got some 6-inch (152mm) drill bits from McMaster-Carr to drill deeper into the dovetail joint on the Guild.
You can see where I used the famous blue painter's tape to flag the maximum depth to drill. I did have horrible visions of the bit coming out the bottom side of the guitar and wanted to ensure that didn't happen.
So I drilled again at a sharper angle with the longer bit, and presto! I got maple. Things are looking up.
The neck joint comes apart. The neck practically popped out of the joint.
Couple of things - the fingerboard cracked a bit and the binding popped off. Should be easy repairs, although it looks ugly now.
It looks like caviar combined with chicken livers. Disgusting.
This is just a small portion - there was a lot in there.
The spruce under the fingerboard extension got pretty hacked up. I have some of the hunks that fell out and I can glue them back in. I'll probably have to make a patch for some of the damage.
Note that I sharpened up the stub of the Henckels knife that fell in the kitchen. Makes a fantastic scraper.
It looks ugly, but there are no chips out of the neck heel at all. I will have some touchup on the top, but it should be straightforward.
I have a 12-string Guild to reset also - this was good experience. Now I know what I may find on that one.