Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Superglue Fill on Gibson Headstock Break (Pt. 4 of Gibson ES-225 restoration)

So my buddy who builds toys emails me yesterday from work and he says "I'd rather be in my shop making sawdust."

And I replied and said "I'd rather be scraping superglue."

And a few hours later, I was.  I decided to try using an oval scraper instead of a razor blade this go-round.  It worked great.  Got the glue scraped down close to level with the wood.

Then did some light sanding with strips of 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper.

There are a couple places where the crack is still visible, but there is one section where it's virtually gone!  Score one for cyanoacrylate!

I have one spot where I sanded through the original finish, and I also managed to sand though the divot I tried to touch up.

So I hit both spots with some stain.  I'm not sure if I'll put superglue on them again or if I'll just fill them with lacquer. 

You can see in this shot that the fill worked pretty well.  I don't expect it to be invisible; I just want it to not be so obvious as it was after gluing it.


The entire ES-225T project:
1. Starting - making a custom moulded caul for headstock break
2. Headstock break repair using hide glue
3. Filling headstock crack pt 1
4. Filling headstock crack pt 2  (This page)
5. Repairing divots in top
6. Installing the tailpiece, bridge, enlarging tuner holes
7. Making a bone nut
8. Installing tuners, and wiring
9. Installing nut and pickup
10. Completed - photos of completed ES-225T

Updates March 2015:

11. Bigsby B11 Installation, Pt. 1
12. Bigsby B11 Installation, Pt. 2

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment