Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Back to the Red Pepper Fuzz Face Clone

During the Hickok project I kept having to move the Red Pepper fuzz circuit board out of the way, and every time I did I kept thinking that I didn't have much work left to do on it.

I did manage to get it painted and did the decal art for it over the last month or so.  And now I'm getting back to finishing it.  I started this back in September of last year and thought it would be a quick project.

Anyway, it's pretty much where I left it.  It works and just needs to be put into a box.

You may also recall I tested and sorted a whole bunch (well, 110 or so...) of germanium transistors as part of this project.  I picked two that are in the right gain ranges for the Red Pepper.

I'm encouraged after hearing this thing for a few minutes with my "1956" Strat and my little Vox workbench amp.  Lots of fuzz and sustain for days.

I set the bias on the collector of Q2 to about -4.5 volts.  Since I have a bias pot as part of the circuit, I can play with the bias a bit and see how the sound changes.  But for now, this is in the recommended range.

The pots, jacks and switch are mounted.  I only need to reconnect the LED and some other leads and mount the board more permanently and it will be done.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment