Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Routing the Saddle Slot in the Granadillo Bridge Block

When we last saw our granadillo bridge block, the saddle slot marks were laid out and waiting to be cut.

I bought the Stew-Mac router jig for this job (and future projects yet to materialize).  So let's have at it.

After a lot of pondering, I came up with this method of routing the slot.  It's not perfect, but it worked.

There is a piece of pine clamped vertically in the Workmate which acts as a guide.  With the router against the guide, I could determine where it would cut as it ran down the guide.  I made that mark on the blue tape. Oh, and I used the 'longer' side on the router jig.  I felt that I needed more surface to run against the fence.  That's why it seems to be on an angle. 

Then I used double-sided carpet tape to hold the bridge block down to the Workmate and cut the slot.

Here it is in action.  I wound up marking the first cut on the bridge with tape, since I wanted to make sure it was square.

After the first cut, I just shifted the bridge block outward a tad (how precise) and made a pass.  The bit I have is small diameter - it took three passes to get the width I needed.  Next time, I'll be more confident, and will use a wider bit.

I also made each pass quite shallow - maybe just a millimeter or so.  It took three or four passes, but it worked, and I didn't get any tear out.

Here's the slotted bridge block.   It's not absolutely clean, but I can easily clean it up with a file.  The main thing is that it's square and the nut blank I'll be using fits very tightly into the slot.

I'm pretty pleased with it.  Clearly I can fine-tune the method (I'm thinking I can make a proper jig to adjust the cut more accurately next time), but I didn't ruin my nice piece of granadillo!

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

Post a Comment