Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Final Shaping the Granadillo Bridge for the Gretsch Ukulele

Got a lot done on the bridge last night.

I used my semi-trusty El Cheapo™ plane to shave the curves on the top of the bridge. It didn't do too bad - I sharpened it (again) and I was able to adjust it for a really thin cut.  I'm already window-shopping Ibex planes.  Not sure my wallet will like them, though.  Not cheap.

Almost there.  Just need to curve the wider (front) edge a bit more. 

I'm really enjoying this part.  I just wish my plane was more cooperative.

Now I need to cut the string slots and the little 'boxes' that hold the knotted ends of the strings. 
I cut the string slots most of the way with a coping saw.  Then I made a couple of cuts with a razor saw on either side of the slots.  I could then chisel/chop at the material to make the 'boxes.'

This is my smallest chisel - 1/4 inch.  Better quality chisels are on my shopping list.  A couple of smaller ones would be good too.

 Test fit on the ukulele. I think it's actually going to work!  The saddle fit is tight - I cut the slot to the width of a blank so I won't have to thickness sand the saddle.

I did the end bevels on the belt sander.  And I tested the string slots with actual strings - and made the third (C) string wider than the others.

Then I sanded the bridge with 320, 400, 600 and 800 grit paper.  It's as smooth as the bottom of a baby.

I wasn't sure how I was going to finish it - I thought about just polishing it, but then I thought Tru-Oil would be a good thing.

Here it is after one coat.  I'm going to do 5 or 6 coats I think - not too glossy but not flat either.

The granadillo is a good compliment for the mahogany.  More brown than red.  I wonder how it would sound if it were used for sides and back on an ukulele?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment