Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Veneering Our DIY Fullrange Speakers, Con't

The veneering turns out to be a couple-of-panel-at-a-time process.  I did opposing sides (e.g. the top and bottom) at once, then trimmed them.  I didn't wait for the glue to totally dry - once a panel was pressed down, I could trim them.

I bought this edge trimmer when I got the veneer.   I did read some sites online wherein the instructions said "use a hobby knife" to trim the excess.  That might work for some, but you need to get a nice square edge, and the edge trimmer worked perfectly, as it has a lip that holds the blade in alignment with the veneer.  Plus, it's only like five bucks.


One thing I alluded to earlier is that overhang distance.  The Band-It veneer instructions say to leave a 1/2 inch (12 or 13mm) overhang.  I left that or a bit more, and it's too much - it wastes veneer and makes it hard to cut with the trimmer.  I actually had to use scissors to trim the excess down on a couple panels to where I could cut it with the trimmer.  This is still a learning process.

The panel on the right is an example - I probably had more like an inch...er...25mm...of overhang.  You don't need that much.

After all the sides were veneered, I needed to open the holes for the speaker and the ports back up.  It was easy to figure out where they were - I just tapped the front and back panels and could hear the "hollow" sound where the holes are.

I cut a couple slits with an X-Acto knife and then went at it with the router.

On the left is my amazing new Rigid 1 hp trim router.  This thing proved to be almost indispensible on this project.  I'm already thinking ahead to what other trouble I can get into with it!

I used a trim bit for the port and speaker holes, and used the 1/2 inch roundover for the port hole.  (Porthole?)

The veneer is so thin, I had a very shallow cut...it just tore through it.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment