Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Our Beech Plywood Turns Into Speaker Boxes!

Now we can take the dowel pins and put them into the holes and do a test fit.

This is the moment where I'm a little apprehensive.  I've been careful to line everything up, but I'm dreading having made a goof.

I put the dowels into one of the sides...

...and then put the top, bottom, front and back on.

It all goes together!

I put the top on and it too works!

I didn't hammer it all down, because now I need to get it all apart and glue it together.


I spread glue around the edges of the side and into the holes.

You can see how the dowels are fluted so glue can go around them.

After I put the glue on, I put the dowels in the holes, put some glue on top of the dowels, and then put the other panels on.  Now I can drive them home with the mallet.

It all goes together - then I put the "top" (actually the other side) onto the whole thing.

With it all doweled, glued and hammered into place, I can clamp it up.

I used bar clamps to clamp it all together.  I used cauls (just shim strips) between the box and the clamps so the wood doesn't get dented.

Some glue naturally oozes out of the joints - I just go around and clean up the excess with a damp painter's rag.  


I let the glue dry overnight, then removed the clamps.

Holy smokes!  They're actually starting to look like speakers!

The joints are very solid and the boxes are surprisingly heavy - since I used 3/4 inch ply they're really solid.

There are just a couple of places where the joins are off a tiny bit...but this is proof of concept and not perfection (on this build anyway).

I'm starting to wonder what they're going to sound like!

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment