In the last post, I mentioned that I replaced all of the signal caps on the Altec 1589B with Elna Silmic II electrolytics. The power supply caps were replaced with Nichicon FG electrolytics.
I changed out the potentially noisy carbon composition collector resistors for metal films (I used Takman REY resistors). And I changed the signal resistors for 'audio grade' Takman REX carbon-film resistors. I went with 1/2 watt rated ones instead of the stock 1/4 watt ones in the interest of reducing contact noise.
You could also use a good quality solder sucker - in my experience the cheap, manual vacuum ones are almost useless. Hakko makes a nice electric one; but I have always had great results with wick. Takes just a couple of seconds to suck up the old solder.
You can see what I mean about the wick - you get a nice clean pad to solder. If you're going to trouble of doing all this work and putting in good quality components, your work should be perfect too.
Attention to detail like this will ensure reliability for years, and peace of mind. It doesn't take any longer to do a proper job. This is not rocket surgery, it's just good practice.
Ok, off the soapbox.
Transistors are sensitive to heat, especially older ones, and these are probably all out of production to boot. So a little caution doesn't hurt.