Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Lollar El Rayo, Cavalier Twin Lion Pickup Installation on Telecaster

Now I'll put the new pickups on the Tele.

In my search for a humbucker with more clarity than the usual humbucker, I came across the Lollar 'El Rayo.'  It promises to be clearer and cleaner.  In fact, the Lollar website says "Don't like humbuckers?  Think again."  So I sprung for one.

The pickup itself is impeccably made, like anything from Lollar.  You may recall I have a tapped Lollar P-90 in my ES-225, and it is just fabulous.

The other pickup that's going in is a Cavalier 'Twin Lion' from Cavalier Pickups.  Cavalier is a  custom shop run by Rob DiStefano.  The original pickup was one of Rob's stock ones, and I really liked it.

I liked it so much that I wanted to try another one - in this case a tapped Bakersfield/Fat Lion model.  The Bakersfield tap is about 6.3k and the Fat Lion tap is about 9.6k, both measured on my Fluke DMM.

I had gotten El Rayo with 4-conductor wiring so I could wire it with a coil shunt switch.  And of course, there are 2 taps on the Cavalier pickup.

I wired them both up with push-pull switches.  The Lollar is on the neck and the Cavalier is on the bridge (duh).  So now I have 2 push-pull switch pots on the guitar.

Tested the wiring, and it worked fine.

But then I ran into a slight obstacle.

For whatever reason, there is a raised 'block' in the middle of the control cavity.  This raised area is fouling the volume control switch. Dagnabbit!

Now, every Tele I've ever worked on has had the old-style flat bottomed cavity.

Like the missing truss rod adjustment slot we saw in the last installment, this too has me scratching my head. 

What to do?

Out comes a chisel and hammer.

I make like Lenny DaVinci carving a statue and have at it.

Only difference is that this isn't art!
Thwack, thwack, thwack.

Not quite as easy as the truss rod slot, but just as effective.

A big rubber mallet is such a good thing to have when working on guitars, don't you think?

You can see the bare wood where I removed that silly raised area in the cavity.

I sort of understand the truss rod access not being there.  A lot of 'modern' Teles don't have a heel-adjust rod.  Ok.

But this I don't understand.  Wouldn't it be easier to rout the whole cavity flat like our hero Leo did in the first place?

Anyway.

We just glue a small piece of aluminum foil (the poor man's RF shielding material) over the bare wood and we're back in business.

I also consolidated a couple of ground leads so there are a couple less connectors at the star ground.

Now we move on to Final Assembly.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment