Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Headstock Veneer Replacement on Princess Banjo Mandolin

You may recall in our last episode we were left hanging with a new piece of rosewood glued to the back of the peghead.

The piece was more or less rectangular shaped and overlapped the peghead so I could trim it back.

This gives you an idea of how much I had to work with.  You can see the long section has already been trimmed - this contoured section at the top remains to be done.

I used a couple of small files and 220 grit sandpaper to trim the excess.

And here it is finished.  I still need to smooth it out a bit more, but it's there in terms of the shape.

I think this is going to work.

Lesson learned:  don't try to remove old veneer to fix cracks.  Leave them on the instrument and fill them.

There is a seam between the old veneer and the new.  The old piece is about .058 of an inch (about .58mm) thick, and the new one is about .010 thicker (.1 mm).

I just block-sanded the new piece down to the same height as the old one so it would match up.

Here it is.

I think this is going to work out.

Fortunately the original pieces were black.

I filled the seam with rosewood filler, sanded it flush and then used Fiebing's leather dye as a finish.

I had also sanded the old finish off the mating piece on the "heel" of the headstock.

The dye is like stain - messy, goes everywhere and will spread like crazy through porous surfaces.  I spread some on the top, and used a very fine paintbrush for the edges.

Came out well I think.

Now I'll spray clear nitro lacquer over it as it had been finished originally.  I think it will look good.

Just need to wait until the humidity outside drops some so I can spray outside.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment