Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Recovering Interior Door Panel Trim on the c900 Convertible

I have a number of detail-type tasks to take care of before I start putting the interior of the SAAB back together. 

You may recall from previous posts that the cloth trim on the door panels is faded.  In fact, if you look closely at the picture, you'll see the original grey color where the cloth was tucked behind the panel, compared to the exposed, faded, purple color. 

I say 'cloth,' but it's actually a synthetic material.  I know this because I tried to dye it grey with fabric dye, and it didn't take.  Additionally, the nice person in the fabric store who helped me pick new material confirmed that it is indeed synthetic.

At any rate, I procured new material - a cotton material with a similar weave to the original.  It's black, so it's not an exact color match, but it will look good.  You can see above where I used the old original as a pattern on the new fabric.  I also acquired yet another new tool in the process - a chalk tailor's marker.  I actually now own enough upholstery tools to warrant half of a drawer in my tool chest to store them!

Here's the old material traced onto the new fabric to cut out.  I'm learning more about upholstery, namely how one makes cuts so the fabric will tuck neatly around corners and openings.

Not that I wish to do much of this again any time soon.  Although, the sagging and fading on c900 door trim is pretty common:  I had a passing thought while doing this that I could start a small cottage-industry business making kits with cut-to-fit cloth read to install.

I did say passing thought.

Cut out the new piece, and take it to The Dungeon where we attach it to the trim backing board with spray adhesive.  Once the adhesive sets up after a minute or so, it's quite sticky and difficult to separate pieces you've put together.

So I put down half of the material on the board, sprayed, and then laid it down so it would be in correct alignment. 

I also sprayed a light coat of adhesive on the fabric.

See the little rectangle the blue arrow is pointing to?  That will reappear again momentarily.  It's a 'live and learn' moment.

I pressed down the front part first and let the adhesive (3M Super 77) set for a while.  I haven't yet tucked the edges over yet.

See that little rectangle now?  I got adhesive on it by accident when spraying and it came back to haunt me.  I got most of it off, and I'm pretty sure it will be covered by the door handle trim.  I think.  I hope.

Lesson:  cover everything you don't want to get spray adhesive on!  I covered most of the workbench but still managed to make a goof.

Here's the finished panel.  Looks pretty good.   The new material attacts lint like crazy.  I suspect that's why the original was synthetic. 

Finally, here's an update on the back seat.  I finished the side panels with vinyl and foam, so I just need to do the mating side of the trim pieces.

It's getting cold now so I have to be selective with days I can work outside.  But I'm close to the end. 

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment