Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Levelling Guitar Fingerboard Divot Fill

The ebony sawdust fill has dried. Now I can scrape the fill to get it nearly level to the fingerboard.

I put some Scotch tape on the ends of a single-edge razor blade, leaving a small amount of the blade exposed in the center. The tape is just a couple of thousandths of an inch (or a millimeter...) thick. So the fill will be level, but a tiny bit higher than the fingerboard.  That's why I said "nearly" level.  If it's a little proud of the board, it's easy to sand down to make it perfectly smooth and level.

After it's scraped level, I can sand the fill smooth.

I used 600, then 800 and 1000 grit paper (dry) for this.

The fingerboard has a radius, so I used a small hunk of cork as a sanding block. The cork follows the shape of the board pretty well.

The finished fills.

They look pretty good. There are one or two spots with tiny cracks in them - I may or may not go back with some filler again.

This I will ponder. Overall, it's a great improvement over the divots that were there before.

I hate divots in fingerboards.

We're getting close to being able to reglue the fingerboard extension to the neck (and body).

I reglued the binding back on.

A small length of binding also popped off side of the neck. I filled the ledge with regular Titebond, and also brushed some acetone onto the binding where it separated at a marker dot.

Maybe the acetone will help to melt the pieces together. Or not. It's just a shot in the dark. If I still have a crack/seam there after it all dries, I'll try to fill it.

Put some waxed paper around the neck, and clamp the binding down.

So check this out.

I was reading on the Interwebs about this classic book on sharpening. I wound up buying it and just got it yesterday.

It looks pretty amazing. Not only how to sharpen the tools I use (chisels, scrapers, planes) but also knives and saws! Should be a great reference.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment