Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Guitar Fret Polishing and Fingerboard Cleaning

After the frets are crowned, I take a small file and work on the fret ends. 

I like to take a few swipes over the edges of the bevel to make sure there are no sharp edges, and I also run it over the bevel itself to make them all identical.

 Then I go over the frets with these wonderful fret erasers from Stew-Mac.  The grades run from 180 to 1000 - great for taking file marks off and then polishing up the frets.

Then I cleaned up the fingerboard with Dunlop Fingerboard 01 Cleaner and Prep.  I just started using this a couple months ago, and I love it.

I bought the 4 oz. size and I'm wondering if they sell it by the quart.

Notice that I scrubbed it pretty fast with an old toothbrush.

This fingerboard was not too dirty, but here's the grime I cleaned off it in 2 passes of the cleaner.  The natural color of the wood really shows now.

Now a little bit of lemon oil.

Not just any lemon oil - the ultimate lemon oil!

Frets levelled and crowned, fingerboard cleaned and treated.

Those frets are super shiny and as smooth as the bottom of a baby!  This puppy's going to play great.


 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment