Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Replacing Old Guitar Case Latches

While I'm waiting for the stain to dry on the Ovation and Flame guitars, I found some other trouble to get into projects to work on.

You may recall the Oahu lap steel.  It came with a super cool case.  I was able to clean the case up, but unfortunately, the latches don't work and they're beyond repair.  I started to clean them up, but the springs in the latches don't work, so I just procured some modern latches to replace them with.

So I need to get the old ones off.

Pulling back the lining reveals the backside of the rivets.  They're split rivets - when they were installed, a tool opened up the split side and drove the back of the rivets into the plywood of the case.

Drove them in really well.  I resorted to a chisel to carve enough wood away so I could pry them up.

With the split side bent up, I can pull three of the four rivets out from the front.  It takes a real tug to get them out.

One of them is really recalcitrant, so I resort to grinding the head off with my trusty (if not super high quality) Dremel tool.  More sparks fly.

The removed latch alongside a new one.  The new one is a bit smaller, but it should work fine.

Now I just need to get the other latches and hasps off.  This is more work than I expected.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment