Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Side Crack Repair on Epiphone Acoustic Guitar

While the glue on the bridge is drying, I'm going to fix another structural problem on the Epiphone acoustic guitar.

It's this dent/crack on the side near the end pin.  I remember when this happened - I was at a friend's house and accidentally whacked the end of the guitar on the corner of a coffee table.

Since the sides are plywood, it's not a clean crack or break.  It's like a combination of a dent and a crack.  Another reason to have a solid wood instrument - even the breaks are better!

I couldn't reach into the guitar far enough to get to the dent, so I took a 3/8 inch dowel and ran it through the soundhole and pointed it at the dent from the inside.

There were mixed results.  I thought I might be able to just push the whole thing out, but I couldn't.  The different layers in the laminate were all cracked differently.

So I pushed it out as much as I could and then spread Titebond on the cracks while I kept it pushed out as much as I could.

Then I made a splint to go on the inside.  It's cedar - I figure it's not worth cutting a hunk of mahogany for this.  If it gets whacked again, it may just crack a little more, so I don't think it needs a strong piece behind it.

I used some repair magnets to hold the splint in place.  Since I had to reach so far in, I stuck a magnet to the patch with masking tape.  Then I used pliers to grip the magnet and move the whole thing inside the guitar until I had it where I wanted it.

The pliers, of course, stuck to the magnet, so they helped keep the splint aligned.

I put glue on the back surface of the splint - the one that will contact the side of the guitar on the inside.

Then, while I was guiding the inside magnet into place, I put its mate on the outside.  It got pulled right up to the guitar - and I was able to use it to help guide the inside splint and magnet exactly where I wanted it.

The magnets are a real lifesaver for this sort of repair.

Really hard to get a good picture of the whole thing, but here it is.

I actually wound up using longer pliers than the shot above to be able to reach in.

The green arrow points to the magnet.  I left everything as is overnight until the glue dried.

When it was dry, I slid the outside magnet off.  The inside magnet was then freed up, and I could pull it out with the pliers.  I left a long 'tail' on the tape so I could then just reach in and grab it and pull it out as well.

The upside-down view looking into the mirror inside the guitar.  The repair came out very well - it's squared up nicely and I didn't get any glue runs.

Not, mind you, that anyone will ever look inside the guitar.  But I know I did it the best I could.

You may have wondered how I got the interior of the guitar lit up.  I cooked up a simple guitar "trouble light" with a bulb socket.  It's just wired straight to an AC plug.

I have a CFL in it - a "75 watt" bulb.  It doesn't get too warm at all and illuminates the inside very well.  An incandescent would be too hot to sit inside a guitar, I think.




 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment