Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Gretsch Ukulele Fret Level and Crown

Ok, new frets in place, check.  Now I'm going to level and crown all of the frets.

First I mark the fret tops with a marker.

Then with my granite fret leveling sanding block, I go over the frets.  No pressure on the block - its weight does the job.  Just a back and forth and sort of circular motion does it.

The idea here is to sand until the marks on all the frets are gone - then they're all level.  Usually doesn't take long.

Then we crown them with a fret file.  This file is curved so that the frets will get a rounded "crown" shape on the tops.

Note the second fret with the arrow.  I didn't get all of the marker off, but I figured it might be ok.  These frets are small, and I was wary of taking off too much material.  Hold that thought.

After the crowning, we polish them with #0000 steel wool.

Now my latest Stew-Mac catalog lists these abrasive "erasers" in different grades for this job.  I had to try them, so they're on order.  There are a few nicks in these frets that I should be able to take out later with them.

Now I string it up and take it for a test drive.

Remember that second fret?  It's too low.  When I fret a note there on the A or E strings, the string actually frets on the third fret.  Since the second is too low, the string doesn't hit it.

I'll go back when I get the fret erasers and fix the problem.  Also, the action is actually a tad too low (!) and I have some buzzes.  I have a solution to fix that at the bridge.

Given all the work I put in with the reset, I'm not too surprised I have a couple of setup issues.  Could be a lot worse.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment