Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Small Stone Piedrita Phaser is Back!

It seems like it's been an eternity, but in reality, it was April 29 - a little over three months - since I last worked on the Piedrita Small Stone Phaser clone.  When I left it, it was passing signal, but not phasing.  I had unsoldered some resistors while addressing the volume drop issue, and one of the pads on the board was gone, which meant a connection was missing.  I just ran a little jumper to fix it, and it works!

I had substituted a 10K resistor for R42 (stock is 4.7K), and that fixed the volume issue.  However, like everyone else who has done that change, I now had the screaming feedback with the color switch engaged.  So now I'm working on that. 

One solution I tried (see the pic) is a 10K trimmer for R11 (in the feedback loop) and a resistor and pot for R42.   In theory, this allows you to tune the feedback out with the trimmer.

However, this doesn't work for me - I still have feedback I can't adjust out.  And second, after studying the schematic more, I realized that you don't want to mess too much with R42.  Putting a pot there means you'd mess with the volume of the phaser in the non-color mode. 

So I'm going back to 10K for R42, and I'm going to try a higher value for R11 (was 3.3K stock, and clearly 10K isn't enough on my pedal).  Stay tuned.



 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment