Crawls Backward (When Alarmed)

IconProjects, musings about guitar builds, guitar repairs, vintage tube amplifiers, old radios, travel, home renovation, and other stuff.

Basement Door Renovation, Pt 11


Now it's just a matter of putting the topcoat of paint on.  I did 2 coats and it covered fine.

In the past, I've used foam rollers but I had a couple of these cloth-type ones I wanted to try on the door.  Bottom line is they're much better.  More pricey,  but they do a better job.

Man that yellow paint is ugly.  I need to do something about that.

After the paint is dry, I took the masking tape off.  In some spots on the windows I was left with little strips.  I just used the trusty X-Acto knife to get under them to where I could peel the tape off.


Just a few remaining things to do.

The deadbolt lock on the door never really lined up right.  You had to push and pull on the door to line up the bolt so it would close.  I'm going to shim the striker so it lines up properly.

The green arrow in the picture shows the gap.  I measure it at about 4mm.


I wound up with a shim about 30 x 80 x 4 mm.  I cut it out of a piece of pine scrap.

Knowing full well I was going to shim the door jamb didn't stop me from painting the mortise anyway.  Now I have to scrape the paint off so I have a clean surface to glue the shim to.

I should have done the shim first, glued it on, and then painted it when I was painting the whole door.  Oh well.

The shim is a pretty good fit.  I just glue it up and clamp it on.

While the glue is drying, I look for some other trouble to get into.  It's a straightforward job to put a new doorknob on.

I'm going to put a new threshold on to replace the old rotting wood one that is there now.

A couple of whacks with my cold chisel takes it right up.

I don't see any fasteners so I figure it was glued down to the concrete.

And that turns out to be the case.  I scraped off as much old adhesive as I could.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment